Are you feeling stuck with the look of your outdated bathroom? You don’t have to spend a fortune to achieve a modern and updated bathroom. Cabinet painting is a simple, affordable solution to give your bathroom the facelift it needs!
In this article, we’ll explore ideas and inspiration for revamping your space with cabinet painting.
Choosing Paint Colors
When it comes to painting cabinets in your bathroom, choosing the right colors and shades may seem like an overwhelming task. However, with a little planning and inspiration, you can quickly create a vibrant, updated look that will have your bathroom looking its best.
First of all, consider both the style and tone of your existing bathroom. Is it modern with clean lines or is it more traditional? Depending on the look you’re going for, there are several options to choose from. Whether you’re more comfortable with bold colors or prefer neutrals to be versatile – you can find a color that fits your personality and style.
If you’re feeling uncertain about which colors to select for your cabinet painting project, here are some ideas and inspirations:
- Hues of brown – ranging from creamy beiges to chocolatey tones; offer warmness to an area that often needs some warmth for comfort.
- White – is often used as an accent color because it brightens up any space without dominating a room setting; consider pairing it with light grays for an eye-catching combo.
- Dark blues or greens – these can provide a harmonizing touch while acting as incredible statement pieces in virtually any area of the home; they also pair great with wood trims or white accents.
- Grays — update this classic color choice by combining hues of light gray (like dove gray) with charcoal gray; also consider adding metallic accents such as matte gold fixtures or maybe brushed nickel handles if desired.
Preparing the Cabinets for Painting
It is important to scuff sand the surface of your cabinets lightly so that paint can stick better to them. This will not only result in a smoother finish but also give you a better end product. When sanding it is important to ensure that you use a gentle rub-style sander along with 150-grit sandpaper to avoid damaging your cabinet surfaces.
Once you get done sanding, make sure to thoroughly clean up after yourself by wiping off the dust and debris with a damp cloth. You should also apply an appropriate cleaning solution over the surface of your cabinets before you start painting them – this will help prepare them for painting and ensure that they last longer too!
Depending on the condition of the cabinet boxes, and structure, and whether or not you are painting them for the first time, there are different approaches that will yield different results.
After sanding thoroughly clean the cabinets with a degreaser solution to remove any grease buildup on surfaces before priming your cabinet boxes with a primer product suitable for use in either water or oil base.
Apply two coats of paint using either brush or roller following the manufacturer’s instructions for enamel, latex, oil base, or acrylic-based products. Use several light coats rather than one heavy coat for better coverage. Between each coat lightly sand surfaces. In difficult areas like corners use small sash brushes.
You can add depth by glazing over cabinets that have already been painted but still require a change in look. Glazing creates subtle transitions between colors producing shaded effects, and adding interest as opposed to simply 10 colors changing all over one single color effect. You can use either traditional paste glaze by double loading brush, or purchase premixed glaze from local home improvement stores. After applying the glaze let dry overnight before finally coating clear varnish sealer over glue areas just after the second layer of paint has been applied on previously painted cabinetry structures if available.
Once the painting is complete, you may want to explore ways to add an extra layer of style to your bathroom cabinets. Finishing touches such as cabinet knobs or handles, decorative hardware, and drawer liners will bring the look together and create a put-together and finished look.
When it comes to cabinet hardware, you’ll want to consider what suits the overall theme of your bathroom. If you’re going for a more timeless aesthetic, try opting for traditional brass or pewter finishes to match the paint color. However, if you feel that a modern flair is more fitting, opt for dull silver or nickel finishes instead. Decorative hardware brings an unexpected detail of refinement—consider items like rosette knobs in coordinating colors that follow the theme of your bathroom space.
If efficiency is high on your priority list as well as style, consider investing in storage solutions such as soft-close add liberators or even cupboard organizers that allow for additional counter space without compromising floor space. Lastly, drawer liners are always handy for creating a moisture barrier between damp surfaces such as restroom towels or washcloths and wood finishes which can suffer from water damage over time.
Ideas for Accessorizing
Once you’ve chosen the ideal colors for your cabinetry, it’s time to start accessorizing and revamping your bathroom. Even a simple refresh of existing pieces can dramatically change the look and feel of your bathroom. Here are some ways to create a unique style with bright colors and accents:
- Mirrors: Choose a bold style or an interesting shape to act as a focal point. Mirrors come in many sizes, allowing you to fill any empty wall space in your bathroom.
- Lighting: Add layers of lighting and combinations of sconces, pendants, and lamps. Emphasize colors and textures around your cabinets with new lights for an added moody ambiance.
- Storage solutions: Maximize storage space with clever ideas such as inserts in drawers or custom panels on cupboard doors. Add baskets to corral odds and ends such as toiletries on shelves or ottomans beneath them for extra storage options.
- Decorative accents: Don’t be afraid to add eye-catching touches such as plants, sculptures, or interesting artwork to personalize your space even more!
Cabinet painting is an easy way to revamp the look of your bathroom. It can help you create the exact vision and aesthetic you have in your mind, without requiring a complete remodel. The best part of changing up your cabinets with paint is that it takes minimal know-how, time, and money. With all the available options for color and sheen, you’re sure to find a combination that just adds a perfect touch of beauty and personality to your bathroom.